Thursday, March 26, 2009

Single Room Baby House


This single room cabinet house was inspired by the Dutch and English "baby" houses of the 1700's ("baby" was the word for "doll" at the time.) The furnishings are in the style of the 1740's. This piece gives me a chance to do lots of faux marble, something I really enjoy.
The beautiful walnut and exotic wood cabinet is by my friend Gilbert Mena; a very talented artist, as you can see. There is a frosted glass skylight in the top. which creates a nice, dramatic lighting effect. I wanted to take the picture before installing the glass front, so there is a slight gap between the column tops and the "roof" which won't be there when everything is glued into place.
I also make three room and ten room baby houses, for which Gilbert makes even more elaborate cabinets. One of the ten room versions, now part of a museum collection, is shown in the small picture at the right.

6 comments:

  1. This is exquisite!

    I have an unfinished Bespaq Baby House which is in my 'projects' box waiting for the appropriate amount of maturation time to elapse before I make a start on it.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful....how big is it overall ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra: I had one of Gilbert's cabinets for a couple of years before I worked up the nerve to do the interior. You'll know when the time is right. Those Bespaq cabinets are very cute.

    Tallulah-Belle: It's 4 7/8" high x 4" wide x 2" deep. I'll try to remember to include measurements from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding piece,just love it!Jeannette

    ReplyDelete

Followers