Monday, July 27, 2009


The chimney has been reworked to look more informal. A big improvement, I think.

After a trip to Michael's to find just the right parts, I've also added leaves and a vine, which still need detail painting.

I will be working on the interior next, and then the landscaping.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Gourd II

So far I've finished the door and windows and begun the interior.

I had imagined that the bedroom would be behind the smaller window, but since the main room has such a high ceiling, I'm thinking of putting a canopy bed there.
The little room could be a storeroom. It's barely visible anyway, as there's a curtain in the doorway.

I found some smooth, round stones along the Lake Michigan shore a few years ago, and they certainly look good with the gourd. I'll probably be using a few more in the landscape. It's amazing how much space I need to store the bits and pieces of this and that that I keep to use "someday."

I've discovered that if I finally decide I will never use something, and throw it out, that it will be exactly what I need a few weeks later.

The chimney looks a little stark - will have to work on that some more.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

And now for something completely different

It's always nice to take a break from the architectural stuff and do a fantasy project.
A friend once said, "Oh, Nell, everything is a little house to you!" Not quite true - but certainly anything that is or could be hollow has potential.
I picked up a couple of small bottle gourds at a show a few years ago. One I made into a house almost immediately. For that one, I used the gourd standing upright.
I'd always planned to do the other one lying on its side, with the small end propped up somehow. It seems the time has come - stay tuned!

Thursday, July 9, 2009


The landscaping is finished, and the house is ready for delivery.

This project required almost all scratch built parts, from door and windows to siding.

I was lucky to have pieces of N scale Victorian trim that were very similar to the piece on the front gable end, though they did require quite a lot of reworking. I used photographs of the actual windows to give the appearance of curtains behind the window frames.

The landscape is at it appeared early this spring, when I was taking pictures of the house. The pine tree is actually larger, but I scaled it down so that it wouldn't overpower the house.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Structure complete!

I finished the house at about 11:30 last night, after a week of very long days. Here it is, waiting for the landscaper to arrive.

A photo of the real house is in the background.
The landscaping should only take a couple of days - I'll post new pictures when it's done.