Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Carpenter Gothic Cottage - 1

 
I'm starting on things for the Chicago International show in April.
 
I wanted to do something new, so my first project is a small house in the "Carpenter Gothic" style that was popular in the U.S. in the mid-1800's. Homes in this style, which sought to evoke the romance of medieval times, feature details such as tall, pointed gables, elaborate roof trims, and board-and-batten siding. The result, if not an authentic medieval look, was fanciful and charming.
 
The house I'm making will be similar to the pictures in the background, but not a copy of any existing building. I always find it more fun to design my own. It will have a fancy porch, and a bay window in the right hand side. There will be two rooms on each floor.

1 comment:

Followers