Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Shingles are Done!

As you can see, I still need to paint them.

To imitate shake shingles, I use randomly sized paper shingles that come on a roll.  Although they have adhesive backing, I ignore that and use white glue so I can be sure they will stay in place over time. The shingles are really HO scale (1:84), which is too large for 1:144; so I trim them down a bit and apply them so the rows are closer together. The fact that they come in a strip is convenient, but in a number of areas I had to cut them apart and put on one shingle at a time.

I had a bit of a scare a while ago when the manufacturer, Campbell Scale Models, stopped making these shingles. I couldn't find a substitute, and thought I was going to have to start making my own from brown paper.  Not a happy prospect.  Fortunately, I'm now able to order them again, so I must not be the only one who uses them!

I also finished the chimney and put the remaining colors on all the stone.  Next I will finish furnishing the interior. I leave final exterior finish till after that, when I won't have to handle the building so much. I'm hoping to have these done this weekend.

5 comments:

  1. I will try cutting shingles to scale on a laser and see how it goes. Not this week but soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say that I am in awe of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous!!! You always do that most perfect minis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigo con la boca abierta, viendo las maravillas que creas ¡waaaaoooooo!!! Yo hice una casa escala 1:150 (no se compara con las tuyas , la mía es de novata)pero me gusto mucho la experiencia de trabajar a una escala tan pequeña ,y vi lo complicado y difícil que era manejar todo tan chiquito y encontrar materiales para esa escala y descubrí otros que no pensé que me fueran a ser tan útiles.
    Mis respetos y admiración
    http://florff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Followers